This pristine one-off Pietro Frua Maserati Mexico was specially built for Maserati racing privateer Franco Rol, in 1967. The design evolved from a 1967 Maserati Mistral body that Frua hoped would be used to introduce into the Mexico market. Some of the most notable changes include dual headlamps under the front bumper, a Walnut wood dashboard, removal of the Mistral coupes’ reversed air vent trim on the front fenders, and slightly longer spacing between the door and rear wheel well. The heart of this “V8 Mistral” is powered by a 4.2-liter Maserati V8 producing 300+hp and 300 ft/lbs of torque to the rear wheels, capable of 160+ MPH. Other notable features include a five-speed manual transmission, hydraulic dual-circuit braking, and even air conditioning.
Pietro Frua was a leading Italian coachbuilder from Turin, Italy. His first known car is the 1946 Fiat 1100C Spyder. Maserati was one of the first clients who contracted Frua for the styling of their new 2-liter, 6 cylinder sports car, the A6G. From 1950 to 1957, Frua built 19 spyders and seven coupes. During the 1960’s he was among the most prominent car designers in Italy, and the “Frua Line” became synonymous with the good taste of a single man. Frua was known for following each car until its realization to the very last detail, creating fully functional one-off prototypes.
The Maserati Mexico was originally commissioned by Maserati racing privateer Franco Rol. During his racing career, Rol participated in 5 Formula 1 World Championships and numerous French and Italian Grand Prix. His racing accomplishments include a second in the 1949 Targa Florio and seventh in 1950, a fourth-place finish at Pau, and a ninth place at Monza. Rol’s true racing talent was really only reflected in his qualifying times. Often times Rol well outperformed Maserati competitors such as Louis Chiron, Reg Parnell, Prince Bira and Felice Bonetto.
Most Elegant Post-War Class - Boca Raton Concours d’Elegance
Best Italian Sports / Touring Car 1967 - 10th Greenwich Concours Europa
Previously part of Alfredo Brenner's collection